If you have any out of date or unwanted medicines, prescription or over-the-counter drugs, Granta Pharmacy can provide safe disposal.
Each year, enormous quantities of unused and expired medications are dumped into bins or flushed down toilets and sinks. The effects on the environment and human health are unclear but the evidence is pointing to the presence of chemicals from prescriptions and over-the-counter medications in soil, drinking water and the surrounding environment. Just as proper medication administration is important, so is safe and cautious disposal.
Unused prescription medicines cost the NHS across the UK over £300 million every year.
You can help reduce this by:
- – Only ordering the medication that you need
- – Letting your GP or Pharmacist know if you’ve stopped taking any of your medication
- – Check what medicine you still have at home before re-ordering
- – Think carefully before ticking all the boxes on your repeat prescription forms and only tick those you really need
- – If you need to go into hospital, please remember to take all your medicines with you in a clearly marked bag
Unused medicines cannot be recycled:
- – Even if you never open them, once medicines have left the Pharmacy, they cannot be recycled or used by anyone else
- – NEVER dispose of your unused or unwanted medicines down the toilet
- – Unused medicines are a safety risk
- – Return out of date medicines to your Pharmacy or dispensary for safe disposal
- – If your medicines change – return your old medicines to the Pharmacy for safe disposal to avoid mixing them up with your new medicines
- – Don’t stockpile medication
- – Store medicines in an appropriate place out of reach of children
Please bring your unwanted medication to Granta Pharmacy for safe medicine disposal.CONTACT US